Using and sharing secrets
The Secret macro secures the creation, transmission, storage and retrieval of sensitive information while you collaborate with your team members on Confluence.
When you work with a Secret macro, the encryption and decryption process is done locally on your web browser, making the whole process of handling sensitive information extra secure.
Accessing a secret
To access encrypted information from the Secret macro, you must meet the following conditions:
- You have access to the space where the Secret macro belongs to.
- You are the secret owner or one of the users that have been granted permission in the macro.
Follow these steps:
- On the Secret macro block, click the Decrypt button.
If you don't have sufficient permission, you'll see this error message:
- You'll see the macro block expanded with the successfully decrypted information masked in asterisks.
- Click Copy to easily copy the sensitive information into your computer clipboard and paste it elsewhere. Click Reveal to see the decrypted information.
- Click the close button to hide the sensitive information. Otherwise, it will be hidden automatically after 15 seconds.
Sharing a secret
Sharing a secret doesn't automatically grant your team members access to the Secret macro. You need to edit the macro's access control settings to set proper access permission.
There are two options to share a secret with your team members.
Option 1 - Share the Confluence page
- Click the Share button on the page where the Secret macro is.
- Enter name, group, team or email of the team members.
- Click Send to ask Confluence to send an email notification.
Alternatively, copy the URL of the page from the web browser's address bar and share it with your team members.
Option 2 - Share a direct link to a Secret
- On the left sidebar, click Secrets.
- Click the title of the secret you would like to share.
- You'll see a page containing details of the Secret. Click Copy link to copy the link to your computer clipboard.
- Share the link with your team members.