Working with attachments in Salesforce
This page shows you how to handle attachments in the Salesforce side of the workflow when using Connector for Salesforce & Jira.
For an overview of how attachments work between Jira and Salesforce, visit Working with attachments.
- The attachment synchronization feature must be turned on by an admin through a Connection setting called Synchronize Attachments.
Pushing Salesforce attachments to Jira
- Attach a file to Salesforce object.
To push the attachment to an associated Jira issue click on the Push button available for the corresponding association. (You can also click on the Pull button on the corresponding association in the overview panel located in right sidebar in Jira issue page).
When a push is triggered:
- All attachments in Salesforce will be pushed to Jira, regardless of whether attached prior or after the association.
- Attachment already existing in Jira will not be pushed to again.
- Currently we compare attachment name and size for this purpose in order to not duplicate attachments.
- A push/pull is not available for View Only associations, so pushing attachments is also not possible for them.
- Your administrator must have configured the Apex trigger to automatically pull Salesforce attachments from Jira.
Pulling Jira attachments from Salesforce
From inside Salesforce, you can retrieve attachments from Jira:
- Automatically - when the association is configured with Auto Pull.
- Click Configure > Auto Pull.
- Manually - click on Pull in the pull-down menu available for the association.
Similar to push:
- All attachments in Jira will be pulled to Salesforce, regardless attached to Jira prior or after the association.
- Attachment already exists in Salesforce (same name) will not be pulled to Salesforce.
- Read-only association is not affected.
Working with Salesforce Files
Connector for Salesforce & Jira is compatible with the Salesforce Files feature.
To use the Connector with Salesforce Files, the Create Salesforce Attachment as Files setting must first be turned on by an admin through a Connection setting called Synchronize Attachments.
Attachments attached to a Salesforce object via the Feed tab (Chatter) is supported as long as Create Salesforce Attachment as Files is enabled.
Attachment size limits
Sync from Salesforce to Jira
Attachment sync works for up to 350MB file size.
Sync from Jira to Salesforce
If Create Salesforce Attachment as Files in connection settings is enabled, attachment sync works for up to 350MB file size.
If Create Salesforce Attachment as Files in connection settings is disabled, attachment sync works for up to 25MB file size.
When Create Salesforce Attachment as Files is disabled, files will be uploaded to the organization as Salesforce Classic which is limited to 25MB by Salesforce. See File Size and Sharing Limits (Salesforce KB).
Attachment size limits are also dependent on your Jira settings. As of May 2022, the default maximum attachment size is 1GB for Cloud and 10MB for Server/Data Center. This can be increased by the Jira admin. You should also be aware of total file storage limits if you are on the Standard plan.
For more details, Jira admins can refer to these Atlassian KB pages: